所属分类: 本科留学 申请交流

查看: 2718|回复: 2
发新帖

纽约大学NYU Stern商学院2013年秋季转学Essay分享

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-10-5 19:32:39 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
NYU 2013 Fall entrance Internal Transfer Essay for Stern School of Business (From College of Arts and Sciences)

My first exposure to the world of financial consulting left me in a state of bewilderment. As a first-semester freshman,         I participated in a case competition against experienced business school upperclassmen, many of whom seemed to have mastered the deployment of financial terms and concepts that I had never encountered. As I noticed how confident the upperclassmen seemed in discussing complicated fiscal models, I increasingly felt as though I had somehow been left behind before the competition had even begun. In my anxiety, I found myself focusing less on trying to accumulate knowledge in order to understand the topics at hand than on finding any means necessary to keep pace with my competitors.

No stranger to competition, I was reminded by my experience at the case competition of my career as a track runner in high school. Though I was one of the fastest runners in my school, I developed the detrimental habit of turning back to check on the progress of the runners behind me whenever I neared the finish line. I became so overly concerned with losing my prime position at the front of the pack that I distracted myself from the rhythm of my own pace and eventually lost my place to other runners. My memory of my difficulties on the racetrack helped me realize that my worries about losing the financial case competition blinded me from the alternative goal of learning about the financial concepts and terms that had initially been opaque to me. I realized that by moving at my own pace, I could free myself from the anxiety of suffering a short-term loss and thereby open myself up to the longer-term project of developing my interest in business studies.

After the competition, I began to read Bloomberg News and fastidiously researched the definitions and concepts behind unfamiliar jargon: “mergers & acquisitions,” “corporate valuations,” and “Standard & Poor’s 500.” Over the course of a few weeks, I felt more and more comfortable reading Bloomberg and other business periodicals. When I spotted a new term I did not understand, I no longer felt anxious; instead, I felt excited that each piece of undecipherable information represented an opportunity to explore a different pocket of the business realm and, in doing so, fill in larger gaps in my overall knowledge.

My experiences as a track runner and financial consulting neophyte taught me the thrust of the maxim, “pursue excellence, and success will follow.” My first attempt to enter into the business world left me with a similar sensation to those I feel upon viewing a piece of fascinating artwork: deeply intrigued but unable to take recourse to personal experiences or accumulated knowledge in order to ascertain the work’s meaning. One of the reasons I wish to transfer into a business school is that I wish to seek out the concrete meanings behind apparently complex or unclear financial concepts. Such fixed meanings do not necessarily adhere to even the most erudite interpretations of a perplexing piece of art, and my goal-oriented mind repels this kind of undecidability. The more knowledge about business I gain, the more I am fascinated by its organizational and logical beauty and attracted to the possibility of grasping the structure of the financial world. After overcoming the anxiety of falling behind the progress of older and more advanced students, I realized that I could deepen my interest in business studies independently, but only to an extent. Therefore, I am prepared to transfer to the NYU Stern, a highly qualified business school that can help me work on this foundation, allow me to indulge in my interests and provide me with opportunities for hands-on experience in the academic and work world.

沙发
发表于 2013-10-10 18:34:13 | 只看该作者
找到好贴不容易,我顶你了,谢了
板凳
发表于 2013-11-6 20:31:49 | 只看该作者
顶顶更健康
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐 上一条 /1 下一条

发布主题 客服中心 官方QQ群 订单中心
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表